My budget bathroom makeover has taken off and what a mess I have between moving things out of the way and the new products lining the wall! So far, I’m well below my estimated budget but we’ll see how things progress.
Remember my bathroom vanity that’s so old it still has a sticker inside with instructions on how to clean cigarette burns out of the marble? Yeah, it’s been around a while. I don’t have the money to replace the whole thing since removing it would probably mean replacing the wall tile around it and other costly materials to replace…so it’s getting a few upgrades instead.
I thought I would begin inside the vanity first before painting the outside (I’m still trying to decide on a color). The inside looked pretty bad. It reminded me of M’Lynn’s description of Shelby’s wedding colors in Steel Magnolias- “That sanctuary looks like it’s been hosed down with Pepto-Bismol.” Well, that sort of describes the look of the inside of my bathroom vanity. Thankfully all that dated and curling linoleum broke up the pink a little so it wasn’t too overwhelming, right?
I’m guessing the stains on the back behind the pipes are a result of plumbing fixes over the years, I don’t know. I do know that the linoleum sheets underneath were trapping dirt and not keep any water out from underneath. We’ve had a leak or two under the sink before but I was really surprised at how easy these sheets of linoleum just came right up when I removed them.
Kilz primer to the rescue! It was so easy to cover, but as you can see I just painted a thin layer of primer on the bottom since that was being covered by the tiles. I probably should have painted over the primer but it’s underneath a bathroom sink and no one will ever see it. I just didn’t see the point in using my good paint to cover this surface.
This was my first experience with the peel-and-stick tiles. I found these beautiful vinyl tiles at Home Depot that look like marble. They are only $.94 per sq. ft. and that’s what I plan on using for the bathroom floor.
I was a little worried about how I would measure and cut the pieces for the top side shelves but since the old linoleum pieces came off in one piece, I just traced it with the pencil and cut. It’s so easy to cut. I just cut along the level with my utility knife and the tile just snapped apart where I cut it.
I didn’t measure the rest…which seems kind of lazy I guess, but it was much easier. I just pushed the next tile against the wall and overlapped the other side of it on the tile I had already installed, and marked the spot where I wanted to cut.
The peel-and-stick tile was super easy to install and gave the inside of the vanity a cleaner look and instant update. I already had the tools and the primer, so this project only cost me around $7 since I needed a total of seven tiles to cover everything.
One thing I learned about installing the peel-and-stick tile is that I definitely want to grout it when I install it on the floor. I think it will break up the pattern a bit and not show the imperfections from cutting as much. I can see them here in the job I did under the sink…but again, it’s under the sink.
This was an easy project and a great way to waterproof my vanity surface underneath the sink. It was also very inexpensive!
Now, if I can just decide on a color for my vanity and walls!