After revealing our DIY desktop and pipe shelves for the music room makeover last week, I had quite a few people who were interested in completing the project in their home. My brother and his wife completed the project last weekend for decorative shelves in the nursery for their baby on the way! It was so neat seeing the project in a different room with a dark stain color.
I do hope the project was specific last week when I posted it, but just in case you were wanting more detail, such as shelf spacing, I thought I would tell you more. This was a fun and pretty simple project…it just took some patience.
Here is how it all turned out in the music room, and we couldn’t be happier with it!
Now, I will remind everyone that we didn’t secure the shelves other than just laying them on top of the pipes and screwing the flanges into the studs, so if you have any chance of the shelves being pulled over, I am recommending you secure the shelves to the pipes with some sort of metal strap.
Here are the specific materials I used for this project in the image with the links below.
Flanges | 1/2 in. x 10 in. Pipes | 1/2 in. x 8 in. Pipes | 1/2 in. Iron Caps | 1 in. x 10 in. x 8 ft. Common Board | 1 in. x 8 in. x 6 ft. Common Board | Liquid Nails | Clamps | Black + Decker Sander | 220 Grit Sandpaper
The stain color I used is called Antique Walnut, and it’s part of the Minwax Polyshades line. If you are a regular reader here, you might know by now that the Polyshades line is one of my favorite stains, because it has the stain and polyurethane in one. I thought the Antique Walnut was the perfect stain color against the blue walls and with the black iron pipes. I used just one coat of stain on the shelves and did two coats of stain on the desktop, so they would have some contrast.
We had planned on keeping the lower shelf at 6 ft, but once we lined up the pipes with the studs in the wall, we realized there would be too much shelf left over on the left side. So, we did a quick cut down to 64 in. using my Rockwell BladeRunner X2. Some of you may remember the giveaway for the BladeRunner on my blog last Christmas and my review? It is a great, portable and lightweight table saw, and was just perfect for this job! I use it for as many projects as I’m able to, because it’s so easy to use and feels much safer than the larger saws.
For the spacing and measurements, I’m showing you the space between the shelves and desktop and the length of each one. I did not include the spacing between the pipes because we screwed those into the studs in the wall…which is really important to do! Don’t forget to use your stud finder so you can do the same to secure them to the wall!
As for the desktop, we sat the desktop piece on the IKEA Kallax shelving units, with a grip contact paper piece in between. We didn’t secure them in any other way, which you might want to do depending on what you use. We used the Kallax shelves because they are perfect for storing vinyl records, and the ones with the black/brown finish are under $40 each!
Don’t forget…find the studs…
I hope this follow-up post gave you a better idea to make plans for your own pipe shelves and desktop! If you don’t have or want the IKEA Kallax units, there are so many other ways to secure the desktop to table legs or other units…and that, my friends, is what Pinterest is for!
If you decide to take on this particular project or do it using your own measurements, please tag me on my social media pages…I would love to see it!