It certainly has taken a while for part 2 of my music room makeover, but it finally happened last week while my husband was on vacation! Yes, this is how we spent his vacation…no better time for DIY projects, if you’re not going away. We have been making plans for the desk space in his music room for a while now and although it took some patience on our part (mostly waiting for the wood finish to dry), overall, it was a fairly simple project.
Here’s what we started out with…
Not only an old particle board desk (that was not so attractive), but a pretty sad camera phone…
The upside to my first post? The amazing wall color, Van Courtland Blue from Benjamin Moore, and the shelving units used to store our vinyl records. These are from the Kallax series at IKEA and were under $40 (for the black/brown finish) for each unit. Not a bad price at all and they are the perfect way to store vinyl records!
We finally got rid of the old computer desk and decided to build a top to sit on the shelving units that would provide so much more space for Keith, especially when he records music.
And all that wall space above? We could definitely use it for something….especially storage. Extra storage is never a bad idea.
I have seen so many posts on Pinterest about these industrial pipe shelves that looked really easy to do and thought they would work for what we needed, so off to Home Depot we went!
Obviously, I’m not very good at planning for these projects. I should have gotten a lumber cart. We decided to go with 8ft. boards, three 10 inches wide for the desktop and upper shelf, and one 8 inches wide for the lower wall shelf.
Starting with the desktop, I connected two of the 10 in. wide boards just using liquid nails and pressing them together using clamps. I allowed them to dry overnight, then sanded the top down smooth to minimize the seam.
Then I applied the stain…a beautiful stain color called Antique Walnut from Minwax. It’s part of their Polyshades line, that has the polyurethane mixed with the stain. I have used polyshades many times and it gives me a beautiful and durable finish every time.
On the left, you can see the wood top with one coat, and the second coat on the right. The first coat is shown after sanding it smooth with a 220 grit sanding sponge, which the directions call for between coats.
I used the same stain color on the shelves, except I applied just one coat of stain to the shelves to give them and the desktop some contrast. Once the stain dried, we began attaching the pipe pieces to the wall. The only trouble we had with this was drilling the screws into the studs. We stripped a few of the screws. I think we didn’t drill far enough into the studs before we attached them…oops! We measured the spacing for the pipes by the studs in that wall, so I would suggest if you do this project, you’ll definitely want to attach them to the studs! Seems like common sense, but some people don’t take the time to do that.
Ugh…you can see we stripped the screws. They were secure though. You will want to make sure you have screw heads large enough to cover the holes in the flange. We will probably color the tops of the screws using a sharpie at some point, but leaving them how they are really doesn’t bother us.
Here are the materials we used for the pipe pieces-
Same flanges and caps, but used 8 in. pipes instead.
We wanted the shelves to fit right between the flange and the caps. Some people use straps to secure the pipe to the shelf, but we didn’t do that here because we don’t have the risk of little ones pulling on the shelves. So, if you do, I would recommend securing the shelves in some way to the pipe.
The shelves fit perfectly but the wood wasn’t level in some places. Once we put some weight on them with the books, they leveled out just fine. We ended up cutting the bottom shelf down to 64 in. so we could have some room for larger items on his desk…such as the turntable.
We are so happy with the way the desktop and the shelves turned out! Keith has plenty of space to work at his desktop now and the shelves are great for storing all his music books.
The open space to the left of the bottom shelf allowed plenty of room for him to open the top to his turntable. And, we added a shelf liner grip piece over the Kallax shelves to hold the desktop in place. Again, we didn’t secure this with brackets and screws so you may want to do that if you need the added security for the desktop.
Turntable: Crosley | Album Frames: Michaels | Vinyl Record Storage: IKEA | Books shown: Slowhand: The life and Mucic of Eric Clapton | Blues all Around Me: The Autobiography of B. B. King Jimi Hendrix The Ultimate Lyric Book | Funk & Soul Covers | The Ultimate Gibson Book | The Stratocaster Chronicles | Albums: Dr John: In the Right Place | Jimi Hendrix: Kiss the Sky | Guitar: Epiphone- Les Paul
My biggest challenge was finding the right time of day to snap some photos. This room is in our basement with one tiny window, so the lighting is odd and changes quickly depending on the time of day. The blue shade on the wall looks good in any light, though!
And I had fun decorating them…especially using some old guitar pedals as book ends.
We found these album cover frames at Michaels, that were on sale for around $12 for a pack of three. They were around $22 before the sale price…still not a bad price for three frames! The hard part was finding the right album covers to use for the frames. There are so many we have with great artwork on the front, but I think we made the right choice with the Hendrix and Dr. John album covers!
Once again, the Polyshades gave us a great finish! I would definitely include Antique Walnut as one of my recommended stain colors now. It turned out beautiful…
I plan on doing a follow up post with the desktop and shelf specifications for those who want to know more details about measurements and spacing.
Stay tuned! -pun intended