Much thanks to Timisha of the Toolbox Diva’s blog for her Pinterest Room Challenge, which is the very reason I was motivated to complete this bedroom makeover! This project was a little different than what I usually post on my blog. I love painting all the rooms in my house and refinishing a piece of furniture, but I have to say the wall collages were outside of my little symmetrical box. The frames didn’t match and they weren’t even on each side…yes, that’s usually what I do. I had a lot of fun with this project and I am very happy with the results.
I started this makeover with a gallon of Benjamin Moore’s Cape Hatteras Sand in the Aura line. I had an entire gallon of paint left over from my living room project, thinking I would need two gallons. I only needed one because in my experience Benjamin Moore’s Aura paint is excellent. It goes such a long way and I still had a bit left over in this gallon that I used to paint my closet and the bedroom. I think this color is perfect in this room!
I really like the wall collages much better. As you can see, the window isn’t centered on the wall, but our bed is. This is why I had to make the wall collage on the right a little wider so I could fill up that extra space. I already had a few frames that I purchased a while back that were still sitting around here. In my bedroom inspiration post, I absolutely loved the Savannah Collection frames from Michaels Stores. I love the way they had the frames in a wall collage and I just had to have them to complete the look I was going for.
I thought the distressed frame with the burlap back was perfect for my Grandfather’s Navy picture…
I also updated a few things to set around the room on top of the dressers. I have some candle holders that a dear friend of mine gave me years ago that I have always displayed. One of them broke a while back but I still hung on to them. I’m glad I did because it easily glued back together…
Now, they look brand new after spray painting them with Krylon metallic finish paint. I love the finish and the traditional look…
I also wanted to use this champagne bottle as a display piece. My husband purchased this bottle of champagne for our first New Year’s celebration together about a year before we were married.
I decided to paint it with glass paint….in a champagne color of course! I would like to add more design to it eventually, just not sure what I want to do yet. I used it for a floral piece I purchased at Michaels. I found the other white vase at Ross, and I am still searching for a floral arrangement for that. Maybe I can just wait until the summer and clip come of my hydrangeas.
I thought about adding more frames to the top of our chest of drawers but I think the pedestal frame looks good by itself. Besides, I’m not sure I want to go back to moving all those frames just to dust the top of the dresser again.
I just set up a few other frames and the candle holders on our large dresser. One thing this makeover made me realize, is that we had too much stuff just cluttering up the room. I really like having fewer things set out on the dressers and the few frames I have set out make it look nice.
And the curtains I had before were beyond needing to be replaced. I spent only a few dollars on the sheers I had before and believe me, I got what I paid for. They didn’t look so nice after washing them a few times. I replaced the old sheers with Bed Bath and Beyond’s Newport Grommet Window Panels. They are very good quality and reasonably priced. I think they make a big difference in the look of the room!
They also look nice behind my Grandmother’s old chair, along with the new paint color. I hope to find a small side table to place beside the chair…
Thanks again to Timisha from the Toolbox Divas for giving me that push I needed to complete this project! And, to Michaels Stores for the inspirational pin and the beautiful frames which made decorating easy!