For a little over a year now, we have been planning on decorating our son’s room to make it the Avengers bedroom he has been hoping for. We have been buying some things a little at a time and he has also received some decorative pieces as gifts from his Grandparents throughout the year as well. During that time, I have been searching for dressers that I could refinish to go with the theme and colors of this Avengers room that we have been planning.
A few weeks ago, I finally found some nice, solid wood dressers that I knew would work for what he wanted. I loved the look of the furniture, especially the legs which had the mid-century look. I saw the Huntley Furniture tag inside and read a little on the company, but I really don’t know much about furniture styles and value. I just knew these pieces were going to work for my son’s bedroom!
Initially, I thought about stripping all the paint and staining it, but I decided not to in case the old paint contained lead. I am not knowledgeable about removing it and I didn’t want to have dust everywhere if it was potentially toxic. I decided to completely cover it with Stix primer, which has a good strong coverage.
I knew I wanted to replace all the hardware, especially the pulls with the leaves…my son really didn’t like them either. I found some nickel bar pulls in a contractor pack of six at Home Depot for $9.88. Of course, I needed seven so I had to buy two packs. When I found some knobs I liked to replace the small elbow noodle pulls (well, that’s what they look like anyway), it would have been anywhere from $60-$80 for new hardware. That’s when I decided it would be best to just spray the ones I had with Rustoleum’s metallic finish spray paint to give them a chrome finish.
While I waited for the hardware to dry, I filled the old holes with Elmer’s wood filler and sanded the excess down the next day after it had dried completely. Measuring carefully for the new hardware is very important…which I did and still had two bars that were slightly crooked. It wasn’t too hard to fix though!
I’m really happy with how the furniture turned out, but my son is the one who is really happy about it…since he can finally have his Avenger’s room! The paint color we chose is Downpour Blue from Benjamin Moore. We used their Advance line which has a nice solid finish, levels well, and has very little odor.
The hardware turned out nice too. I sprayed the bars with the Rust-Oleum paint as well so it would match the shiny chrome finish that the smaller pieces had.
You can see the difference in the before and after photos…
Now that the furniture is ready, I can get to work on the rest of his room. I decided to start with a small mood board with his dresser and quilt included to get an idea of how everything will come together. I’m still on the hunt for new curtains.
I can’t wait to see how his room will look when it is finished. I really like the gray paint color with the blue furniture and the bedding. We hope to have the Avengers room completed soon!
To be continued…